8 oz (225g) S. R. flour
8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
2 oz (50g) butter
1 tblsp syrup
1 egg, beaten
1/2 pt (300ml) milk
1 tblsp oats
1. Mix all the dry ingredients (except oats) in a large bowl.
2. Rub in butter to resemble breadcrumbs.
3. Add syrup, egg and milk to form a soft dough.
4. Place in a greased 2 lb loaf tin and sprinkle with oats.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven 190°C/375°F/Gas 5 for 40-45 minutes.
Christine Lamont, Snizort, Skye