Pre-heat oven to: 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
Time in oven: 25-30 minutes
8 oz/225g plain wholemeal flour
8 oz/225g plain flour
1 tblsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 oz/25g butter
8 fl oz/250ml milk
1. Sieve all dry ingredients into bowl. Rub in butter with finger tips until mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
2. Add milk and mix to form a soft dough. Knead on floured surface for 2 minutes.
3. Form into a circle about 1″/2.5cm thick.
4. Place on floured baking tray and place in oven.
5. Bake until risen and well browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Note: Excellent with homemade soup.
Fiona MacLean, Leverburgh