Vegetable Rice Bake
Pre-heat oven to: 200°C/400°F/Gas 6
Time in oven: 20 minutes
1 ½ lb/700g brown rice
1 oz/25g margarine
8 oz/225g onions, chopped
4 oz/110g red peppers, sliced
8 oz/225g carrots, diced
8 oz/225g small florets of cauliflower
8 oz/225g frozen peas
1 lb/450g cheese, grated
salt and pepper
½ tsp paprika
1 dsp mixed herbs
8 oz/225g tomatoes, sliced
1. Boil rice and drain. Melt margarine, fry onions and peppers and cook until tender.
2. Mix together all ingredients except tomatoes and half the cheese.
3. Put in a greased, deep oven-proof dish.
4. Place sliced tomatoes on top and cover with remainder of cheese.
5. Place in oven and cook until mixture is bubbling and cheese is browned.
6. Serve with salad, crusty bread and new potatoes.
Margaret MacAulay, Cross, Ness, Lewis