Tropical Fruit Cake
Pre-heat oven to: 170°C/325°F/Gas 4
Time in oven: 35-40 minutes
Makes: 20-30 slices
5 oz/150g mixed dried tropical fruit
4 oz/110g pineapple juice
8 oz/225g wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp ground ginger
7 oz/200g margarine or butter
4 oz/110g light brown sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1. Soak dried fruit in pineapple juice for 10 minutes.
2. Sieve together flour, baking powder, salt and ginger in bowl.
3. Rub in margarine until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in sugar and add fruit, juice and beaten eggs.
5. Mix to a soft dropping consistency, adding a little extra pineapple juice or milk as required.
6. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 7″/18cm diameter cake tin. Bake.
7. Cool briefly in tin and turn out on to wire rack to cool completely.