The Castles Chocolate Mocha Cake
Pre-heat oven to: 170°C/325°F/Gas 3
Time in oven: 40 minutes
6 ½ oz/190g S. R. flour
5 oz/150g caster sugar
¼ pt/150ml oil
¼ pt/150ml milk
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tblsp golden syrup
2 tblsp cocoa
3 oz/75g soft margarine
8 oz/225g icing sugar, sieved
1 tblsp milk
1 tblsp coffee essence
chocolate flake or grated chocolate
1. Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
2. Pour into 2 greased and base-lined 8″/20cm diameter sandwich tins and bake.
3. When ready, cake springs back when pressed lightly in the middle.
4. Cool on wire tray and remove paper.
5. Place all icing ingredients in a bowl and beat until smooth.
6. Spread 1/3 of this mixture on one cake and put the other cake on top.
7. Cover top with remaining icing and mark attractively with a palette knife.
8. Decorate with chocolate flake or grated chocolate.