Summer Fruit Muffins
Pre-heat oven to: 190°C/375°F/Gas 5
Time in oven: 20-25 minutes
10 oz/275g S.R. flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
4 oz/110g granulated sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
8 fl oz/250ml milk
3 fl oz/90ml corn oil
5 oz/150g summer fruit
Note: Use any berries, either alone or in combination: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, cherries, fresh or frozen. Do not thaw frozen berries. Larger-sized berries should be coarsely chopped.
1. Grease muffin tray or insert paper cases.
2. In large bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Stir in sugar and set aside.
4. In another bowl beat egg with a fork, then stir in milk and oil.
5. Pour all wet ingredients into dry. Stir gently until just combined. There should be no visible flour. The less stirring the better. Mixture will be lumpy.
6. Gently fold in berries at the end, using only 2-3 strokes to avoid crushing fruit.
7. Spoon into cases and place in oven. Frozen fruit will require an extra 4-5 minutes.
8. Muffins are ready when tops are lightly browned and spring back when pressed gently.
9. Try using a mini muffin pan and cases for children, but reduce baking time.