South African Apple Tart
Pre-heat oven to: 170°C/325°F/Gas 3
Time in oven: 45 minutes
1 lb/450g cooking apples
4 oz/110g margarine
2 tblsp caster sugar
2 tblsp oil
1 small tsp vanilla
8 oz/225g plain flour
2 level tsp baking powder
2 oz/50g sultanas
1 heaped tsp spice
1. Wash, quarter, peel, core and slice apples. Place in salted water and set aside.
2. Cream together margarine, sugar, oil and vanilla.
3. Beat in egg and add sifted flour and baking powder. This forms dough rather than pastry.
4. Press three quarters of dough into a greased 8″/20cm pie dish.
5. Strain apples, mix with sultanas and spice and place over dough in pie dish.
6. Use a coarse grater to grate remaining dough over apple mix.
7. Bake in oven until golden brown.
Christine Davidson, Watten