Smoked Haddock with Mustard Cream Sauce
6 oz/175g smoked haddock fillets
¾ pt/425ml milk
2 lb/900g potatoes, peeled
salt and pepper
1 oz/25g butter
¼ pt/150ml crème fraîche
2 tblsp wholegrain mustard
parsley to garnish
1. Lay fish fillets in frying pan and cover with milk.
2. Poach fish until firm. Do not let milk boil.
3. Drain, reserve milk and put fish on a plate.
4. Cover with damp greaseproof paper to keep fish moist and keep warm in oven. Reserve milk.
5. Boil potatoes until tender, drain and mash with butter. Season to taste.
6. Add 3-5 fl oz/100-150ml reserved milk.
7. Heat crème fraîche with mustard in small pan. Add water or little reserved milk to make sauce-like consistency.
8. Spoon mashed potato in centre of 4 plates and lay one haddock fillet on each.
9. Spoon over mustard sauce and garnish with parsley. Serve with peas.
Catherine Macleod, Kilmuir, Stenscholl and Snizort