Savoury Herb Scones
Pre-heat oven to: 200°C/400°F/Gas 6
Time in oven: 15 minutes
4 oz/110g potatoes, cooked and sieved
4 oz/110g S.R. flour
3 oz/75g lard, or any fat
good pinch of salt
good pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tblsp parsley, chopped
1 tblsp chives, chopped
1 medium egg
2 oz/50g cornflakes, crushed
1. Mix together cooled potatoes and flour.
2. Rub in fat until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add salt, cayenne pepper, parsley and chives.
4. Beat egg and milk, reserving a little for brushing on scones at end.
5. Add egg and enough milk to make a soft dough.
6. Roll out dough to a 1/2″/1cm thick oblong shape.
7. Sprinkle crushed cornflakes over top.
8. Roll dough up like a large sausage, cut into even slices and flatten slightly with your hand.
9. Brush over with a little of beaten egg and milk.
10. Bake in oven until nicely risen and golden in colour.
Note: Best with floury potatoes.