Rhubarb and Ginger Cheesecake
4 oz (100g) digestive biscuits, crushed
2 oz (50g) margarine, melted
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ pt (150ml) soured cream
1 oz (25g) caster sugar
8 oz (225g) rhubarb, chopped
2 pieces stem ginger, chopped
1 oz (25g) granulated sugar
1 tblsp ginger syrup
8 oz (225g) cream cheese
¼ pt (150ml) plain yoghurt
2 eggs, separated
2 oz (50g) soft brown sugar
1 oz (25g) plain flour
1. Melt margarine and add biscuits and ground ginger.
2. Press into a 8″ loose-based cake tin and chill.
3. Put rhubarb, ginger, granulated sugar and syrup in a pan and cook until the fruit is tender.
4. Cool and spoon over base.
5. Blend together cheese, yoghurt, egg yolks, brown sugar and flour and beat well.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, fold into the cheese mixture and pour over the rhubarb.
7. Cook in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 40-50 minutes or until firm and beginning to brown.
8. Mix the soured cream with the caster sugar and pour over the cheesecake.
9. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
10. Allow to cool before removing from tin.
Note: 1/2 – 3/4 oz chopped ginger, 1 tblsp golden syrup and ¼ tsp ground ginger may be substituted for the stem ginger and ginger syrup.