3 egg whites
6 oz (175g) caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 level tsp cornflour
1/2 pt (300ml) double cream
fresh or tinned fruit
1. Draw an 8″ circle on foil and place on baking tray.
2. Whisk egg whites until stiff, add sugar and whisk again.
3. Whisk in essence, vinegar and cornflour.
4. Spread mixture over the circle and pile up round the edges.
5. Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for about 1 hour.
6. Cool, remove from foil and fill with whipped cream and fruit.
M. MacKenzie, Grant St., Glasgow