My Mum’s Macaroon Round
Pre-heat oven to: 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
Time in oven: 35 minutes
4 oz/110g S.R. flour
pinch of salt
2 oz/50g margarine
1 ½ tblsp cold water
2 level tblsp raspberry jam
1 teacup semolina
1 level tsp baking powder
1 teacup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp almond essence
1. See recipe for shortcrust pastry on page 342.
2. Knead dough gently on floured surface and roll out slightly larger than baking tin.
3. Line a greased 8″/20cm round sponge tin with shortcrust pastry and spread with jam.
4. Mix other filling ingredients together and put into pastry base.
5. Bake on bottom shelf of oven.
Note: Can also be made into individual cakes rather than one large round.
Daphne Douglas, Leith