1 large aubergine
salt and pepper
1/4 cup cooking oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/4 lb (550g) mince
15 oz (425g) tin tomatoes
2 tblsp tomato purée
2 tblsp parsley, chopped
1 oz (25g) butter
1 oz (25g) flour
1/2 pt (300ml) milk
1 egg, beaten
3 oz (75g) cheese, grated
1. Cut the aubergine into 1/2″ (5mm) slices and sprinkle with salt.
2. Place in colander for 30 minutes to drain excess moisture and then rinse and pat dry.
3. Heat half the oil and fry the aubergine slices until browned then set aside.
4. In remaining oil fry onion and garlic, add mince and brown.
5. Add tomatoes, purée, and parsley and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Make white sauce with butter, flour and milk.
7. Season and stir in egg and half the cheese.
8. Layer aubergine and mince in a greased pie-dish, finishing with aubergine.
9. Pour over white sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
10. Cook in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1½ hours.
11. Serve with green salad and crusty bread.