Mixed Summer Salad
¼ pt/150ml dry white wine or fresh orange juice
juice of 1 large orange
¼ pt/150ml water
3 oz/75g caster sugar
8 oz/225g strawberries
1 small melon
2 large peaches
2 tsp chopped mint, optional
1. Put wine, orange juice, water and sugar in a pan.
2. Heat gently until sugar dissolves.
3. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 5 minutes or until syrupy.
4. Leave to cool.
5. Pour over chopped and prepared fruit.
6. Place in fridge for a few hours to allow flavours to mix and develop.
7. Serve with chopped mint and cream.
Note: Use any fruit in season: e.g. oranges, bananas, grapes, apples.
Dina Begg, Lybster