Milk Chocolate Sponge
7 oz (200g) S. R. flour
8 oz (225g) caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 oz (25g) cocoa
4 oz (100g) margarine
2 eggs, beaten
5 tsp evaporated milk
5 tblsp hot water
a few drops vanilla essence
2 1/2 oz (65g) margarine
1 tblsp cocoa
9 oz (250g) icing sugar, sieved
3 tblsp hot milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Sieve flour, sugar, salt and cocoa into a bowl and rub in margarine.
2. Beat eggs with milk, add water and essence and beat well.
3. Put mixture into two greased and floured 7″ tins and bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 30-35 minutes.
4. Sandwich together and cover with chocolate icing when cold.
1. Melt margarine and blend in cocoa.
2. Beat in sugar, milk and essence until smooth and thick.
Rene Stewart, St Columba’s, Edinburgh