Mam’s Dutch Roast
1 lb (450g) steak mince
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 dsp tomato ketchup
3/4 tsp mixed herbs
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
salt and pepper
2 onions, quartered
2 carrots, cubed
2 parsnips, cubed
4-6 tblsp cooking oil
2 tblsp tomato ketchup
2 tblsp demerara sugar
1. Mix the mince, breadcrumbs, ketchup, egg, herbs, sauce and seasoning.
2. Shape mixture into a roll and put in a roasting tin.
3. Place vegetables around.
4. Heat oil and pour over meat and vegetables.
5. Roast in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour.
6. Baste frequently or cover with foil, removing the foil for the last 20 minutes.
7. Coat with topping of mixed ketchup and demerara sugar.
8. Serve with the gravy and roast or creamed potatoes.
1. Make mince mixture into beefburgers.
2. Make mince mixture into balls and serve with tomato sauce and rice.