2 large onions, diced finely
2 large potatoes, diced finely
1 oz/25g butter
1 large iceberg lettuce, shredded
¾ pt/425ml milk
½ pt/300ml chicken stock
salt and pepper
4 tblsp fresh double cream, optional
1. Fry onions and potatoes gently in butter in pan for 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown.
2. Add lettuce and stir well. Add milk and stock.
3. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Cover and simmer very gently for 10-15 minutes.
4. Liquidise, return to pan, season and reheat.
5. Ladle into 4 warm soup bowls and swirl on 1 tblsp cream and garnish with parsley.
Cena Gray, Dowanvale, Glasgow