Lentil and Vegetable Hotpot
2 tblsp oil
1 onion, sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 carrots, sliced
6 oz (175g) red lentils, rinsed
1 cooking apple, diced
1 pt (600ml) water
12 oz (350g) cauliflower florets
6 oz (175g) mushrooms, sliced
2 medium courgettes, sliced
14 oz (400g) tin tomatoes chopped
3 tblsp tomato purée
1 tblsp parsley, chopped
½ pt (300ml) vegetable stock
2-3 potatoes, sliced
1. Heat oil in pan, fry onion and garlic until soft.
2. Add carrots, lentils, apple and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add water, bring to boil and simmer for approx. 20 minutes until lentils are tender.
4. Stir in cauliflower, mushrooms, courgettes, tomatoes, purée, parsley and stock.
5. Spoon mixture into an ovenproof dish.
6. Shallow fry potatoes in oil for 5 minutes and drain.
7. Arrange on top of lentil mixture.
8. Cook in a pre-heated oven 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 30 minutes.
9. Garnish with parsley and serve.