Lemon Meringue Pie
Pre-heat oven to: 200°C/400°F/Gas 6
Time in oven: 30-35 minutes in total
6 oz/175g plain flour
pinch of salt
3 oz/75g margarine
2 tblsp cold water
3 egg yolks
1 large can condensed milk
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
3 egg whites
6 oz/175g caster sugar
1. Make pastry case for an 8″/20cm diameter flan dish (see page 342).
2. Combine egg yolks, condensed milk, lemon juice and rind together.
3. Pour into baked pastry flan case.
4. Make meringue by whisking egg whites together until very thick.
5. Add caster sugar and continue to whisk until meringue is thick again.
6. Pile meringue on top of filling and bake at 180°C/355°F/Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes or for longer at a lower temperature for a crisper meringue.