Lamb and Pine Nut Pilaf
1 ½ tblsp olive oil
14 oz/400g lean lamb fillet, leg or neck
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
8 oz/225g long grain rice
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp cinnamon
salt and black pepper
1 oz/25g sultanas
1 oz/25g dried apricots, chopped
½ tblsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tblsp fresh mint, chopped
18 fl oz/550ml lamb stock
3½ fl oz/100ml low fat natural bio yoghurt
good handful of fresh coriander
¾ oz/20g pine nuts, toasted
1. Cut off any fat from meat and cut into small cubes.
2. Heat half oil in large lidded non-stick frying pan and sauté lamb over low heat, turning once or twice until browned.
3. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Add remainder of oil to pan with onions and pepper. Sauté over medium heat for 8 minutes, or until softened and turning golden.
5. Add rice, spices and seasoning and stir for 1 minute. Return lamb to pan.
6. Stir in dried fruits, parsley, mint and stock. Bring to the boil.
7. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lamb and rice are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
8. Stir in yoghurt and coriander. Sprinkle pine nuts on top and serve.