1 ½ lb/700g smoked haddock fillet
2 lb/900g potatoes
4 oz/110g butter
1 pt/600ml milk
2 oz/50g flour salt and pepper
2 tblsp mayonnaise
1. Wash fish and simmer in water for 8-10 minutes. Drain and flake.
2. Peel and wash potatoes. Cook in boiling salted water until tender and drain and dry over low heat.
3. Place in mixer or food processor until potatoes are broken down.
4. Prepare moderate grill.
5. Separate eggs and place whites in a clean, grease-free bowl.
6. Add yolks and 2 oz/50g butter to potatoes in machine and mix well.
7. Spread potatoes over base and sides of a baking tray 12″ x 8″ x 1″/30cm x 20cm x 2.5cm to form case. Place under grill for 6-8 minutes until potatoes have lightly browned.
8. Blend milk and flour until smooth. Melt remaining 2 oz/50g butter in saucepan and add milk mixture. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Cook for 3 minutes.
9. Stir flaked fish into sauce and season to taste.
10. Slice tomatoes and place over base of potato case. Cover with fish mixture.
11. Whisk egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold in mayonnaise and spread over fish.
12. Place under grill until just golden brown. Garnish with chopped parsley or chives.
13. Serve at once.
Note: Half this quantity can be cooked in an 8″/20 cm round tin and will serve 4. A potato masher and wooden spoon can be used instead of a food processor.