Indian Savoury Rice
2 cups long grain rice
2 tblsp oil or ghee
1 1/2 medium onions, finely sliced
1 stick cinnamon
4 cardamom pods
4 whole cloves
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup carrot, grated
2 tsp salt
1. Wash rice well in several changes of water.
2. Heat oil in saucepan and fry onions, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves until onions are golden brown. Stir frequently to get even brown colour.
3. Add rice and fry for about 3 minutes, pour on stock and stir in grated carrot.
4. Add salt, stir in carefully and bring quickly back to boil.
5. Cover with tight-fitting lid and turn heat down to low. Leave for 20 minutes without removing lid.
6. Lift lid, allow steam to escape, pick out whole spices and fluff up lightly with a fork.
7. Turn out on to a serving dish and garnish.