Beef dripping or oil
12 oz (350g) red onions, chopped
1 tblsp paprika
2 1/4 lb (1000g) stewing steak, cubed
a few caraway seeds
2 cloves garlic, crushed
cold water – enough to prevent
2 lb potatoes, cubed
2 large carrots, cubed
1 large green pepper, cubed
salt to taste
1. Melt dripping or oil in saucepan.
2. Fry onion for 5 minutes, add paprika and stir rapidly.
3. Add meat and salt, stirring constantly until browned.
4. Add caraway seeds, garlic and sufficient water.
5. Cover and braise slowly – MUST NOT BE BOILED.
6. Par-boil potatoes and carrots in a separate pan.
7. Drain, but reserve cooking liquid to top up stew pan.
8. Add potatoes, carrots and green pepper to meat and cook until tender, adding vegetable liquid as required.
9. Serve with crusty bread and green salad.