Pre-heat oven to: 190°C/375°F/Gas 5
Time in oven: 40-45 minutes
8 oz/225g smoked haddock fillets
½ pt/300ml milk
1 oz/25g butter
1 oz/25g plain flour
4 oz/110g grated cheese
juice and rind of lemon
salt and pepper
2 eggs, separated
1. Cook fish in milk for 10 minutes.
2. Remove from pan, discard skin and flake fish, reserving cooking liquid.
3. Melt butter, add flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Gradually add reserved liquid, stirring continuously, and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Allow sauce to cool.
6. Stir in fish, cheese, lemon and seasoning.
7. Beat in egg yolks.
8. Whisk egg whites until thick, but not stiff.
9. Fold into mixture and place in a greased 1 1/4pt/725ml oven-proof dish.
10. Bake in oven until soufflé is well risen.
11. Serve immediately with crusty bread and salad.