Greek Style Baked Lemon Chicken
Pre-heat oven to: 180°C/350°F/Gas 4
Time in oven: 1.5 – 2 hours
3.5 – 4 lb/1.5-1.8kg chicken, jointed
salt and pepper
4 tblsp flour
olive oil for frying
2 lb/900g potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
1 cup chicken stock or water
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 handful chopped fresh herbs, e.g. parsley, thyme and tarragon
1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1. Wipe chicken pieces clean with kitchen paper. Rub with salt and pepper and coat with flour.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry chicken until golden.
3. Lay chicken pieces flat in shallow oven-proof dish. Fit potatoes around chicken and add stock or water.
4. Sprinkle garlic, herbs, more salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper over chicken and potatoes and pour over lemon juice.
5. Cook in oven until potatoes and chicken are tender and golden.
6. During the last hour, check to see if dish is drying out. If so, reduce temperature slightly and add some water or stock.
7. Serve with a green salad, a salad of thinly sliced tomatoes, onions and Feta/Caerphilly cheese and olives.