1 1/2 lb (675g) braising steak, cubed
2 oz (50g) plain flour
salt and pepper
1 1/2 – 2 tsp ground ginger
3 tblsp oil
1 tblsp root ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 onions, sliced
1/2 pt (300ml) beef stock
8 oz (225g) tin tomatoes
2 tblsp vinegar
1 tblsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tblsp thick honey
15 oz (425g) tin red kidney beans, drained
1. Coat the meat with flour, seasoning and ground ginger.
2. Fry the meat in oil until brown and put in casserole dish.
3. Fry root ginger, garlic and onion in oil until light brown.
4. Gradually add stock, tomatoes, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, honey and seasoning.
5. Bring to boil, pour into casserole dish over meat and put on lid.
6. Cook in a pre-heated oven 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 1¾ hours.
7. Add red beans, stir and adjust seasoning.
8. Replace lid and return to oven for 20-25 minutes.