6 oz (175g) plain flour
3 oz (75g) butter/margarine
1 ½ oz (40g) icing sugar
3 3/4 oz (90g) margarine
4 oz (100g) caster sugar
1 oz (25g) sultanas
2 oz (50g) walnuts, chopped
2 oz (50g) cherries, chopped
1 tblsp cream
1. Mix base ingredients together to stiff consistency.
2. Press into a greased 11″ x 7″ Swiss roll tin.
3. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 15-20 minutes until pale golden.
4. Melt margarine and sugar, boil for 1 minute, stirring all the time.
5. Stir in fruit and nuts, add cream and spread over shortcake base.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 10-15 minutes.
7. Mark fingers while hot and allow to cool in tin.
8. Dip ends in melted chocolate when cold.
Mairi Ferguson, Aultbea