1 medium or small haddock/whiting with bone in
1 pt (600ml) lightly salted water
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 level tsp oatmeal
knob of butter
1 pt (600ml) milk
salt and pepper
chopped parsley and chives
1. Simmer fish in water until flesh starts to come away from bone.
2. Strain liquid, add onion, potatoes, oatmeal, butter and cook until potatoes are soft.
3. Flake fish, carefully removing every bone.
4. Add fish and milk, season to taste, bring slowly to boil.
5. Serve with chopped parsley and chives.
Margaret Main, Burghead