Farm House Flan
3 oz (75g) plain wholemeal flour
3 oz (75g) S. R. flour
pinch of salt
1 ½ oz (40g) butter
1 ½ oz (40g) lard
3 tblsp milk
3 oz (75g) leeks, chopped
4 oz (100g) bacon, chopped
½ oz (12g) butter
3 oz (75g) Cheddar cheese, grated
¼ pt (150ml) milk
salt and pepper
1. To make pastry, rub butter and lard into flour and salt to resemble breadcrumbs. Bind together with milk, knead lightly and chill for 20 minutes.
2. Roll out pastry, use to line an 8″ flan dish and bake blind in a pre-heated oven 200°C/400°F/Gas 6-7 for 10-15 minutes.
3. Sauté leeks and bacon in butter until soft.
4. Place on base of flan and sprinkle with most of the cheese.
5. Beat together eggs, milk, and seasoning and pour on to flan.
6. Cover with rest of cheese, return to oven and bake until set.
7. Serve hot or cold with salad.