Date and Walnut Loaf
8 oz (225g) dates, chopped
4 oz (100g) sugar
2 oz (50g) margarine
1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
1/4 pt (150ml) boiling water
8 oz (225g) S. R. flour
2 oz (50g) walnuts, chopped
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Put dates, sugar, margarine, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl.
2. Pour over the boiling water and mix well to melt margarine.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix again.
4. Spoon mixture into a greased and base-lined 2 lb (or 2 x 1 lb) loaf tin.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 1 1/4 hours.
Joyce MacRae, Glenshiel