Curried Lentil Soup
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 tblsp sunflower oil
1 tblsp curry paste
6 oz (175g) red lentils, rinsed
1 ½ pts (900ml) vegetable/ham stock
1 oz (25g) creamed coconut
salt and pepper
1. Fry all vegetables in oil in a large pan over low heat for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in curry paste and fry briefly.
3. Add lentils and stock and bring gently to the boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Stir in creamed coconut and season. Purée if desired.
Sadie Maclean, St Vincent St. – Milton, Glasgow