Curried Beef Olives
2 tblsp cooking oil
1 large onion, grated
1 apple, chopped
1 tsp curry powder
3 oz (75g) breadcrumbs
1 tblsp sultanas
1 tblsp coconut
1 tblsp chutney
6 thin slices rump steak
2 tblsp plain flour
salt and pepper
3/4 pt (425ml) beef stock
1. Lightly fry the onion and apple in 1 tblsp oil, add curry powder and stir in breadcrumbs, sultanas, coconut and chutney.
2. Divide the mixture into 6 portions.
3. Season slices of steak and put a portion of filling on each slice.
4. Roll up securely and coat in seasoned flour.
5. Brown the olives in 1 tblsp oil, add stock to pan and simmer for 1½ – 2 hours.
6. Alternatively, cook in a covered casserole dish in a pre-heated oven 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for 11/2 – 2 hours.
Sadie MacLean, St. Vincent St. – Milton, Glasgow