Country Fruit Cake
12 oz (350g) plain flour
3 level tsp baking powder
6 oz (175g) margarine
6 oz (175g) soft brown sugar
6 oz (175g) sultanas
6 oz (175g) currants
2 level tsp golden syrup
3 eggs (size 3)
1 rounded tblsp marmalade
3 rounded tblsp demerara sugar
1. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl.
2. Add margarine and rub in until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Stir in soft brown sugar and fruit.
4. Place carefully measured syrup in a bowl, add eggs and marmalade, beat well and stir into dry ingredients.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 8″ square tin.
6. Sprinkle the top with demerara sugar.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for 2 – 2 1/4 hours.
8. Leave to cool in tin for 30 minutes, turn out and remove paper.
A. Maclean, North Tolsta, Lewis