4 cups S. R. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 level tsp mixed spice
1 level tsp cinnamon
½ level tsp ginger
1/2 level tsp nutmeg
6 oz (175g) margarine
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups dried fruit 1 egg, beaten
1 tblsp syrup
1 tblsp treacle
1 apple, grated
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
milk to mix
1. Mix flour, salt and spices and rub in margarine.
2. Add sugar and dried fruit.
3. Mix egg, syrup, treacle and apple with a little milk.
4. Add to dry mixture and fold in bicarbonate of soda mixed in a little milk.
5. Mix to a dropping consistency, using more milk if required.
6. See below for cooking instructions.
To cook the clootie dumplings:
1. Scald the “cloot” briefly in the pan of boiling water.
2. Ring out and dredge well with flour.
3. Turn mixture onto the cloth, tie up securely, making sure there are no loose edges and leaving room for the dumpling to swell.
4. Place dumpling on plate in pan of boiling water and boil for 3½ – 4 hours, topping up with boiling water if the level drops.
5. Lift dumpling onto a plate and carefully begin to remove the cloth, using the back of a knife to ensure the “skin” stays on the dumpling.
6. Invert dumpling onto a large plate and fully remove the cloth.
7. Leave dumpling to dry naturally.
8. Slice and eat hot or cold.