Chilli con Carne
1 lb (450g) steak mince
2 tblsp cooking oil
1 large onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 – 3 tsp chilli powder
14 oz (400g) tin tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
2 tblsp tomato purée
1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
1/4 pt (150ml) beef stock
1 tblsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
15 oz (450g) tin red kidney beans, drained
1. Heat oil and fry onion with the garlic until clear.
2. Add mince and chilli powder, stirring until brown.
3. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, tomato purée, green pepper, stock, lemon juice and seasoning.
4. Bring to the boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Add beans and cook for 5 more minutes.
Rae MacKinnon, Grant St., Glasgow