Chilli Cheese Meatballs
8 oz/225g lean minced beef
4 salad onions, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
4 tblsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
2 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
salt and pepper
1 tblsp olive oil
3 ½ fl oz/100ml red wine
5 oz/150g spaghetti or tagliatelle
14 oz/400g can chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
pinch of sugar
1. Mix together mince, salad onions, garlic, chilli, 2 tblsp cheese, thyme and seasoning.
2. Shape into 12 small firm balls.
3. Heat oil in large pan and fry meatballs for 3-4 minutes, shaking pan frequently until well browned.
4. Pour in red wine and bubble vigorously for 1-2 minutes.
5. Cook pasta according to packet instructions.
6. Add chopped tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar and pepper to meatballs and stir.
7. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through.
8. Drain pasta and return to pan.
9. Spoon in 4 tblsp tomato sauce from the meatball mixture, tossing well together.
10. Transfer to large serving bowl, spooning meatballs and sauce on top.
11. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and serve.