2 oz (50g) butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 ½ oz (40g) flour
1 pt (600ml) milk
2 tsp salt, pinch pepper
1 pt (600ml) stock
3 small carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
8 oz (225g) cheddar cheese, grated
parsley to garnish
1. Fry onion in butter until tender.
2. Add flour and cook slowly for 1 minute stirring well.
3. Add milk and stock, stirring continuously and bring to boil.
4. Add carrots, celery and seasoning and cook until tender.
5. Stir in cheese and heat gently until melted.
6. Garnish with parsley before serving.
Rachel Macdonald, Kilmorack