Pre-heat oven to: 200°C/400°F/Gas 6
Time in oven: 25 minutes
2 oz/50g butter
1 ½ oz/35g flour
½ pt/300ml milk
5 oz/150g cheese
salt and cayenne pepper
1. Over a gentle heat, melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Gradually add milk, stirring continuously, and simmer for a few minutes.
3. Add cheese and season. Cool slightly.
4. Separate eggs, add yolks to sauce and beat to a smooth consistency.
5. Whisk whites until stiff and fold in.
6. Gently pour mixture into a greased 3 pt/1.7 litre soufflé dish.
7. Cook until well risen and brown on the top.
Note: May also be served as a starter.
George Fraser, Kingussie