Cheese Oatmeal Scones
4 oz (100g) plain flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp salt
1 oz (25g) margarine or lard
4 oz oatmeal
2 oz (50g) cheese, grated
a little milk
1. Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda, cream of tartar and salt into a bowl.
2. Rub in margarine (or lard) to resemble breadcrumbs.
3. Add oatmeal and cheese and mix well.
4. Add sufficient milk to form a stiff dough.
5. Knead lightly and roll out quite thickly on a floured board.
6. Cut into rounds and place on greased baking tray.
7. Bake in a pre-heated oven 230°C/450°F/Gas 8 for 12 minutes.
C. Smith, Point, Lewis