Carrot Cake (2)
10 oz (275g) caster sugar
8 fl oz (240ml) sunflower oil
6 oz (175g) S. R. flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp sea salt
8 oz (225g) carrots, finely grated
4 oz (100g) walnuts, finely chopped
3 oz (75g) cream cheese
1 1/2 oz (40g) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
3 tblsp caster sugar
1. Put sugar into a large bowl, stir in oil and beat with a wooden spoon.
2. Break in eggs one at a time, beating until each one is incorporated.
3. Gradually beat in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
4. Stir in carrots and nuts.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 7″ or 8″ round cake tin.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 70-80 minutes or until top jumps back when pressed with finger.
7. Cool on a wire rack.
1. Beat cheese and butter together until smooth.
2. Add sugar and continue beating.
3. Spread frosting on top of cold cake, smoothing with palette knife dipped in hot water.