Californian Beef Casserole
1 ½ lb (675g) stewing steak, cubed
1 oz (25g) flour
1 oz (25g) fat
1 onion, sliced
1 beef stock cube
½ pt (300ml) hot water
¼ pt (150ml) red wine
4 – 6 prunes
2 oz (50g) raisins
4 oz (100g) button mushrooms
salt and pepper
1. Coat the meat in seasoned flour.
2. Heat fat in heavy saucepan, brown meat and add onion.
3. Dissolve stock cube in water and add to meat.
4. Add wine, stir well and bring to the boil.
5. Add prunes and raisins and put into covered casserole dish.
6. Cook in a pre-heated oven 150°C/300°F/Gas 2 for 1¼ hours.
7. Add mushrooms and continue to cook for a further 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
Note: Don’t be put off by the unusual ingredients – this is a delicious dish.
Ena Smith, Free North, Inverness