1 tblsp sunflower oil
6 oz (175g) peeled potato, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb (450g) broccoli
1 1/2 pts (900ml) chicken stock
1/2 tsp sugar
6 oz (175g) mature cheddar, grated
salt and pepper
1. Fry onion and potato gently in oil.
2. Cut broccoli stems in 1/2″ (5mm) slices, add to pan, fry for 5 minutes and season.
3. Reserve some broccoli florets and add remainder to potato mixture.
4. Add stock, simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft.
5. Add remaining broccoli and sugar and blend. Most of mixture will be smooth but newly added broccoli will give grainy texture.
6. Pour into tureen, season, and stir in cheese until melted.
Note: Single cream added instead of cheese gives a pleasant flavour.
M. Macarthur, Dornoch