Broccoli Cream Cheese Soup
8 oz/225g head of broccoli
1 ½ oz/35g butter
2 whites of leek, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
6 oz/175g Philadelphia cheese
2 tblsp fine oatmeal
1 pt/600ml milk
1 pt/600ml vegetable stock
salt and pepper
1. Trim broccoli into 1/4″/5mm florets, chop stalks small and set to one side.
2. Melt butter and add leeks, onion and broccoli stalks.
3. Stir, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in oatmeal. Add milk, a little at a time, stirring well after each addition.
5. Add vegetable stock and salt and pepper then simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Leave to cool. Steam broccoli florets for 4 minutes.
7. Pour soup and soft cheese into food processor and blend until smooth.
8. Return to pan, add steamed broccoli florets and reheat gently.
Mary B. MacLeod, Knock, Point, Lewis