5 oz (150g) Shortcrust pastry (see Mincemeat Squares)
2 oz (50g) margarine
4 oz (100g) caster sugar
8 oz (225g) raisins or sultanas
4 oz (100g) cherries, chopped
6 digestive biscuits, crushed
1 tsp mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten
a little jam
thick glacé icing
1. Cream margarine and sugar, add fruit, cherries, biscuits and spice.
2. Bind together with beaten eggs.
3. Roll out pastry and use to line an 11″ x 7″ Swiss roll tin.
4. Spread jam over pastry and cover with fruit mixture.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 45 minutes.
6. Leave to cool, cover with a layer of marzipan and top with glacé icing.
Peggy MacDonald, Partick Highland, Glasgow