Boiled Fruit Cake (low-fat)
4 oz (100g) brown sugar
3 oz (75g) margarine
1 lb mixed dried fruit
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1 pt (600ml) water
2 eggs, beaten
1 lb (450g) S.R. wholemeal flour
2 oz (50g) walnuts, chopped
1. Put all ingredients (except eggs, flour and walnuts) into a large pan.
2. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Leave to cool for 30 minutes.
4. Beat in eggs and gradually stir in flour and walnuts.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 10″ cake tin.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 2 – 21/2 hours.
For 1 pt water, use ¾ pt water and 1/4 pt orange juice.
For dried fruit, use 8 oz fruit and 2 ripe mashed bananas or 1 large grated cooking apple.
Mary Christie, Bon Accord, Aberdeen