Black Forest Gateau
4 oz (100g) caster sugar
3 oz (75g) S. R. flour
1 oz (25g) cocoa powder
1/2 level tsp baking powder
2 small tins black cherries, in syrup
1 tblsp cider or wine vinegar
1/2 pt (300ml) whipping cream, whipped
1. Whisk eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Sieve flour, cocoa and baking powder into mixture.
3. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8″ sandwich tins.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 20 minutes.
5. Drain cherries and add vinegar to the juice. (This is the secret ingredient which makes it taste special).
6. Place sponges on plates, soak in juice and leave to cool.
7. Layer cherries on base sponge and cover with half the cream.
8. Carefully lift the other sponge and place on top.
9. Cover with remaining cream and decorate with grated chocolate.