8 oz (225g) S. R. flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a pinch of salt
4 oz (100g) butter
8 oz (225g) currants
8 oz (225g) raisins
4 oz (100g) mixed peel
2 oz (50g) soft brown sugar
a few chopped almonds (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1 dsp syrup
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/4 pt (150ml) milk
1. Mix flour with cinnamon and salt.
2. Rub in butter, and add currants, raisins, peel, sugar and almonds.
3. Beat egg with syrup, then add to dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Dissolve soda in milk and mix well into the mixture.
5. Spoon mixture into a greased and lined deep 7″ cake tin.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 45 minutes, then reduce to 160°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 13/4 hours.
Note: This cake can be used as a Christmas Cake.
Elizabeth Montgomery, St. Vincent St. – Milton, Glasgow