1 tblsp olive oil
1 leek, finely chopped
1 celery stick, finely chopped
10 oz/275g raw beetroot, peeled and finely grated
1 potato, diced
1 carrot, finely grated
2 pt/1.2litre chicken stock
2 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
2 tblsp soured cream
1. Heat oil in large pan and stir-fry leek and celery for 2-3 minutes until softened.
2. Add beetroot, potato and most of carrot, reserving some for garnish.
3. Add stock, season and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender and soup has thickened slightly.
5. Season and add vinegar and sugar. Heat gently until dissolved.
6. Serve with swirl of cream and reserved grated carrot.
Note: If desired, soup may be liquidised before adding cream.