1 lb/450g fillet steak
2 medium onions
9 oz/250g chestnut mushrooms
5 tblsp olive oil
2 tblsp paprika
pinch ground nutmeg
1 tblsp brandy or white wine
14 fl oz/400ml crème fraîche
3 tblsp parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
1. Cut beef into thin strips. Cut onions into eighths and mushrooms into quarters.
2. Heat half the oil in a frying pan, fry onions for 8-10 minutes and set aside.
3. Fry mushrooms in remaining oil for 2-3 minutes and set aside.
4. Heat pan until very hot and add beef, paprika and nutmeg, frying for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add wine/brandy and allow to simmer until sauce is reduced by half.
6. Add onions, mushrooms, crème fraîche and parsley and simmer for 2-5 minutes.
7. Season and serve with rice.
Barbara Mackenzie, Smithton-Culloden