Beef Casserole with Orange
Pre-heat oven to: 170°C/325°F/Gas 3
Time in oven: 1.5 hours
1 ½ lb/700g braising or rump steak
3 tblsp oil
2 medium onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tblsp plain flour
½ pt/300ml beef stock
1 orange, grated rind and juice
1 tblsp tomato purée
3 tblsp brandy
1 tblsp treacle
salt and pepper
4 oz/110g mushrooms, chopped
1. Cut meat into 1″/2.5cm cubes and fry in half of the oil until very well browned.
2. Place meat on plate.
3. Add remaining oil and sauté onions and garlic.
4. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
5. Mix together stock, orange rind and juice, tomato purée, brandy and treacle.
6. Add gradually to onions and flour, stirring well.
7. Add browned meat and season with salt and pepper.
8. Place in covered casserole dish, and simmer in slow oven until beef is tender.
9. Add mushrooms half an hour before end of cooking.